Airborne-Radar is available as a download or CD-ROM (or online course for Mac users -- see below), teaching the use of airborne weather radar. But, it goes beyond use of airborne radar, teaching thunderstorm theory, hazards of thunderstorms, airborne radar theory, and airborne radar techniques. A Final Exam concludes the course, enabling the user to test their knowledge. Airborne-Radar is compatible with Windows, and an online version is available to Mac users (for Mac users, after purchasing, contact sales@avtutorials for access to the online version).
Most seasoned professional pilots will admit that there has always been a lack of adequate weather radar training. The mantra has always been, "fly the airplane, and figure it out as you go." But, there's no reason to continue with that mindset. Now, Airborne-Radar provides the only source of thorough, interactive, training on airborne weather radar.
The effective use of airborne weather radar is essential to anyone flying radar-equipped aircraft. Numerous aircraft accidents have occurred due to flight crews' inadequate knowledge of thunderstorms and the use of radar. Airborne-Radar helps provide that basis of knowledge. The goal is to provide the best radar training available, to make the pilot confident and knowledgeable about thunderstorm hazards.
Real, hands-on interactivity enable the user to move knobs, click buttons, and watch the results to provide the best radar training available. Full audio narration and quizzes make learning easy.
Who is Airborne-Radar For?
- Professional/career pilots seeking to expand their knowledge.
- Pilots who operate radar-equipped aircraft for their own business.
- Aviation students aspiring to a professional flying career.
- Airline dispatches.
- Avionics and maintenance professionals.
- Anyone who flies radar-equipped aircraft
- Access for "anywhere" use on Windows or Mac (Mac users: contact sales@avtutorials for access to the online version).
- 26 training modules, comprising more than 3 hours of training.
- Over 260 instructional scenes, containing more than 50 that are interactive.
- Over 130 quiz questions.
- 50-random-question Final Exam, database-tracked, with printable results.
- Printable PDF safety documents from the FAA and NTSB.
- Colorful graphics, depicting simulated radar displays.
- Easy point-and-click navigation.
- Full audio narration.
- Immediate use after purchase.
Airborne-Radar Training Modules
• Accident case study
• How to build a thunderstorm
• Degrees of thunderstorm severity
• Hail formation
• In-flight icing
• Gust fronts
• Tornado formation
Airborne Radar Theory
• Principles of radar
• Reflectivity of precipitation and objects
• Gain control
• Doppler capabilities/turbulence detection
• Attenuation and false readings
• Radar tops and beam filling
• Echoes to avoid
• Windshear detection
• Knowing you radar equipment
Airborne Radar Techniques
• Important notes about radar
• Preflight inspection and testing
• Before-takeoff scanning
• Climb scanning
• Cruise scanning
• Approach scanning
Extras and Final Exam
• Final Exam
• Printable documents from the FAA and NTSB
Windows PC running any operating system, or Mac with Internet connection
Adobe® Flash® Player (version 8.0 or higher, which is typically on every system)
Sound card (not required, but recommended)