Practical Test Standards
Part No: 8081-4D
TEST STANDARDS/INSTRUMENT PILOT
ASA-8081-4D ASA reprints the most current FAA Practical Test Standards in this series of handy cockpit-sized guides. Every PTS is written by the FAA and details the type and levels of skill and knowledge that must be demonstrated before an examiner can issue a certificate or rating to an applicant, and describes background study and reference materials.
The following major enhancements were made in this revision of the Instrument Rating PTS:
- Updated to reference current FAA publications.
- New abbreviations section.
- The "plan of action" is more thoroughly explained to include the reference to scenarios.
- Practical test requirements updated to reflect current rules.
- Now clarifies use of GPS for navigation and approaches, and the requirement for a GPS approach was added.
- Approach terminology updated to include Precision Approach (PA), Approach with Vertical Guidance (APV), and Nonprecision Approach (NPA); requirements for their use is clarified.
- Clarifies the requirement for the use of a view-limiting device.
- Discusses the need for testing in Single-Pilot Resource Management.
- Reference to the metric system is eliminated.
- Now includes PTS for electronic flight instrument displays, flight management systems, GPS, and autopilot usage (for airplanes so equipped).
- Testing basic instrument flight maneuvers is now integrated throughout the practical test, rather than treated as a separate task.