TY97A Aviation Slimline VHF Radio (25 kHz Only, 16W)
Part No: 01790-00-01
Both the TY96A and TY97A aviation radios define a new standard in 25 kHz radio design. Combining great quality and performance each radio is housed within a superbly engineered unit, slimline and light. At only 1.3" high the radio saves valuable stack space, but retains innovative and practical features. These radios are perfectly suited to the needs of experienced and novice pilots alike.
Features that matter
The TY96A is a 10 Watt model, suited for most general aviation use. The TY97A is a more powerful 16 Watt model, where a higher transmission output is required. The display is clear and bright, showing both primary and secondary frequencies along with ICAO or custom set airfield identifiers. A ‘Push Step’ knob allows the fastest change from 50 kHz to 25 kHz steps - so you can tune the radio quickly without compromising your look-out. The Dual Watch feature allows two frequencies to be monitored at the same time - it’s like having two radios in one.
Both radios have a ‘Say Again’ feature. A single button press replays the last radio transmission. It’s ideal for student pilots, but every pilot can get distracted, so it avoids the embarrassment of asking air traffic to repeat a message. A one touch Emergency Button automatically sets 121.5 MHz, along with mic and volume levels. This ensures a successful transmission in what can be a stressful situation.
Each radio has a built in two place intercom with auxiliary inputs for stereo music and audio warnings. Each radio can also integrate with a GPS (SL40 protocol) to automatically display frequencies as they are required along the flight route. Finally, an airfield database can be loaded via the handy USB port. This database can contain over 200 of your preferred frequencies and identifiers.
Ease of installation
The radio’s low profile design requires no external cooling fans. The radios compact size and features make it a great choice for both forward and retro-fit installations. Each radio is designed to easily replace legacy radios, these include popular; KY 196A, KY 197A and SL 40 models.
- 760 channel
- 22-33 V, 16 watt
- Slimline panel mount – only 1.3 inches high
- Bright, clear display / simple user interface
- Unique ‘Push Step’ for faster tuning 25 kHz to 50 kHz
- Dual Watch – monitor two frequencies at the same time
- ETSO and TSO approved
- Stereo music / two-place intercom
- ‘Say Again’ feature – allows playback of last transmission
- Emergency button
- Configurable airfield database – holds over 200 frequencies
- USB port on facia – upload frequency database (CSV file)
- Highly efficient – no cooling fans or external cooling required
- Ideal retro-fit for legacy radios - same height as an SL40
- GPS / EFIS compatibility (includes SL40 protocol and Garmin GTR255)
- Two year warranty from date of install, U.S. based technical support
0.95 kg/2.09 lb
1.3 x 6.26 x 10.63 in (33 x W 159 x L 270 mm)
Installed depth in tray (inches):
22 VDC — 33 VDC
Typical Current Consumption:
175 mA @ 14 VDC
Nominal Transmitter Power:
16 Watt, nominal
25 kHz - 50 kHz certified 760 channel radio
-20°C to 55°C
No fan required
ETSO 2C128, 2C169a, TSO-C128a TSO-C169a
ED-23C, ED-67, DO-186B, DO-178B Level B, DO-160G, DO-254 Level C