FTA-850L Air-Band Handheld VHF Transceiver w/ Full-Color Display
Part No: FTA-850L
Pickup currently unavailable at 3650 Drane Field Rd
Air-Band Handheld Transceiver By Yaesu
Introducing the Yaesu FTA-850L portable airband transceiver, precisely engineered to meet the requirements of top aviators. Boasting a 2.4" full-color TFT display, enhanced navigation features using ILS, VOR, or GPS, and a 400 channel memory bank. This handheld is designed for those looking to minimize distractions and maximize visibility in dark conditions.
We recommend this product for anyone looking at transitioning to a fully wireless flight experience or those who have recently bought headsets with Bluetooth capabilities. The Yaesu FTA-850L is a portable, reliable, and practical solution that comes fully loaded with accessories, holders, charger, and belt clip for access while in-flight and out of sight.
Yaesu Handheld VHF Transceiver Features
Built around an ultra-durable polycarbonate housing, the FTA-850L meets the IPX-5 waterproof rating and the stringent MIL-STD-810H standards. Packaged with a high capacity 2200mAh Lithium-Ion battery, Headset adapter, 100-240VAC charger, 12VDC charger/Power cable, drop-in charging cradle, backup Alkaline battery tray, and heavy-duty belt clip. All backed by an industry-leading 3-year waterproof warranty.
For a full list of capabilities check the features tab.
Aviation Handheld Radio With Bluetooth
This handheld is not only a perfect size for extended use but its comfort focus design features an easy setup for a completely cordless experience. This model lets you forget the wires with its Built-in Bluetooth module and it integrates easily with most commercial Bluetooth headsets.
Take a look at our best-selling Bluetooth headsets for aviation.
- Bose A20 Closed Ear Headset ($125 CFI Rebate Available)
- ProFlight Series 2 Aviation In-Ear ANR Headset ($125 CFI Rebate Available)
Gulf Coast Avionics
- 6W TX Output Power (Air Band: AM 6W, P.E.P typ,1.8W Carrier)
- Huge 2.4-inch & TFT Full-Color Display (240 x 320 pixel)
- Water Protection – IPX5 Rating
- Rugged Construction: Certified to MIL-STD-810H
- Loud Audio Output (800mW)
- Dual Frequency Display (DD): Two channels are displayed at the top and bottom of the screen
- Bluetooth® Operation with commercially available Bluetooth headset or YAESU optional SSM-BT10
- ILS Navigation (Localizer and Glide Slope)
- VOR Navigation
- Flight-Route Display and Navigation with a highly sensitive built-in GPS unit
- GPS Position Logging Operation available*
- Intuitive Menu Screen with icon display
- 8.33kHz Narrow Band compatible
- NOAA Weather Channel Receive**
- NOAA Weather Alert**
- 400 Memory Channels with 14 alphanumeric characters
- Back-lit keypad and Display with Dimmer
- Noise-Cancelling Function for both transmit and receive audio
- External-DC input for operation and charging
- Channel configurations can be easily reprogrammed using the PC Programming Software – YCE46
- New optional Quick Release Holster – SHB-110
ILS Navigation (Localizer and Glide Slope)
When the FTA-850L receives an ILS signal, the display will automatically switch to the NAV band screen which shows a CDI (Course Deviation Indicator) based on the received localizer signal or the glide slope signal. Course and height deviation are clearly presented on the color CDI display, and aid with the landing approach under bad weather conditions.VOR Navigation
When the FTA-850L receives a VOR signal, the display automatically switches to the NAV band screen and shows the CDI. The top of the compass rose always indicates the direction set as the OBS. The SOG (Speed Over Ground) is displayed only when the FTA-850L internal GPS unit is activated and a fix is acquired.Flight-Route Display and Navigation
The Flight Route Navigation feature clearly presents the traveling route, listing the waypoints from the departure point to the final destination, including the current position where Navigation is being performed. Route, Location and travel status can be assessed at a glance. Navigation is also displayed on an easy-to-read color compass screen.Dual Frequency Display
DD (Dual Frequency Display) screen presents two frequencies separately on the top and bottom of the screen. The most recently tuned information (Comm Frequency, Memory group and Weather channel) are always set into the active channel automatically. the target mode and channel can easily be switched between different modes using the DD screen, without going through the MENU.
- Antenna (SRA-20A)
- Li-Ion Battery Pack (SBR-39LI 7.2V, 2200 mAh)
- Belt Clip (SHB-11)
- AC Charger (SAD-25)
- Charger Cradle (SBH-11)
- Cigarette Lighter DC/DC Converter (SDD-12)
- Headset Adapter Cable (SCU-42)
- Alkaline Battery Tray (SBT-12 : AA x 6)
- USB Cable (T9101648)
- Operating Manual
- Warranty Card
- Frequency Ranges:
- RX 108.000 to 136.9916 MHz (NAV and COM)
- 161.650 to 163.275 MHz (Weather Channels)
- 329.150 to 335.000 MHz (Glide Slope)
- TX 118.000 to 136.9916 MHz
- Channel Spacing: 25 kHz/8.33 kHz
- Emission Type: TX: AM RX: AM & FM
- RF Power Output: 6.0 W (PEP), 1.8 W (Carrier Power)
- Water Protection Rating: IPX5
- GPS Reciver Channels: 66 Channels
- Case Size(W x H x D): 2.4" x 5.2" x 1.3" (60 x 132 x 34 mm) w/ SBR-39LI, w/o Knob & Antenna
- Weight: 13.9 oz (395 g) w/ SBR-39LI, Antenna and Belt Clip
Questions & Answers
See below for answers to our most popular questions.
Does this have the same user interface as the 750L? It the battery life better than the 750L?
The new FTA-850L is an upgraded version of the FTA-750L. Changes to the Nav software will increase usability. Battery life is increasing from 1800mAh to 2200mAh, which will increase operating time.
I have the previous version, the 750L, which I really like a lot except for the lack of an airport database for the GPS. Have they finally added a database to the 850L, or do you still have to program Lat and Lon manually through the PC app? I don't need a moving map or overlaid wx, etc., but the airport database would take this from good to actually useful.
At this time, there is no airport database for the FTA-850L. All waypoints and points of interest have to be programmed manually or through the PC app and then uploaded to the unit.
Will this radio pair with my Sena 10R Bluetooth? I fly PPG and need to self announce utilizing this set up.
The Bluetooth does work with most standard aviation headsets that offer BT. However, we do not have any experience with the headset you reference. While we think it should work, cannot guarantee that.